Saturday, October 11, 2008

Looking back...

I am glad to announce that our project is nearing its completion! With the main part behind us, all that is left to would be checking for language and format details. Allow me a brief moment of relaxation. With a BIG sigh of relief of course :

SIIIIIIIighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................

Okay, now I'm ready to review the entire project. It started out in an awkward situation, I mixed up my group members names while they got mine right. It was quite and embarrassing moment. However after that we got to a quick start.

Throughout my years in NUS, I have only a few chances to undergo a project with students from another major. So most of the times I'm with students of the major doing the same topic, mainly Biology. Since most of the project uses the same format for reports I have become accustomed them. Too accustomed.

Since I have little exposure to other "worlds" I was quite daunted when Brad show us how the report format would be. I kept thinking: that shouldn't be acceptable, the labeling is wrong, shouldn't it be this way? and so on. After awhile though, I began to realize there isn't a strict format on how some letter or report should be.

I guess in a way this is also another cultural experience, albeit its on writing styles. This shows that there is always a norm for something in different places be it location or papers. The experience I gain from this also tells me that I am a little too rigid on my mindset of how things should be. Time to change and be more flexible and adaptable to changes.

Also I am surprised to say how efficient my group mates are. Previously on report projects, I use to have meetings with group mates and for some reason we never progress anywhere. I end up being frustrated as not only no work was done, precious time was also wasted. With Xin Yi and Pei Rong however, we always manage to tackle the issues and most of the time, has extra time to spare. Not to forget Brad's help on issues where we were stuck and confused. Though we had little communication, we always manage to get the point across to each other and therefore leading to the successful completion of the project.

This was a wonderful experience, no other project has gone as smooth as this one. I really owe it to both Pei Rong and Xin Yi to make the project enjoyable. And they manage to do it while having their midterm exams during the process. I would like to take the chance to thank them for the wonderful experience and for their patient and understanding through the project.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yoyo Junyen!

Let me continue your sigh of relief...

ighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I'm so glad we are almost there.

It was great working with you too! haha. I remember that incident when you mixed Pei Rong and I up.Funny. Made me ROFLMAO. And of course not forgetting the time when you mistook Eileen for me. Oh well, you are not the first. HAHA. Initially Brad was confused too! Do we really look so alike?

As I'm typing this, I recalled how we were grouped together. Brad was forming groups in class, and Pei Rong and I were waiting for Brad to allocate one more person to our group. Then you walked into the class. TADAH! You were allocated to our group. Guess you didn't have much of a choice huh! hAHAHAHAHAHA.

You are right, our group didn't really have much communication. But we managed to pull through somehow.

Thank you once again!

PS: Gina bo kuai, pang sai tiuk uai uai. HAHA.

Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks, Jun Yen, for this enlivening post and all your good cheer toward the work on this project! It's good for me to hear how you sense that you have become less rigid in your view of "norms" for the various aspects of research formatting and writing. I guess the ladies helped you, too, t see outside the world of biology!

I really appreciate your team effort, man. Looking forward to seeing your report!

Pei Rong said...

Hello Jun Yen,

OMG, we finally finished the report! Happiness!

Thanks for doing the final editting!

It was great working with you. Sorry, if I seemed very hostile or unhappy sometimes but it was not due to you! It was the accumulation of stress from tests and the report. I looked fierce when I don't smile anyway. hahaha

So, what is my name? By now, if you still don't know, Xinyi and I will hack you man. LOL

after report, comes the oral presentation! Let's work hard together!

wjyen said...

hi Xin Yi

first and foremost, OMG did not expect you to read my msn personal message. Haha and I guess you understand it too :P.

Yea, was quite a sudden and unexpected grouping. As for why I mixed up between you gals, maybe it was because you were too close with similar hairstyle. Like I once mixed up Wei Kin with Lyon. Haha sorry Wei Kin and Lyon if your reading this.

I must say we did quite a good job considering the limited communication we had. And I really enjoyed working with you two :)

Hi Brad!

Yea the ladies did help me out of the rigid mindset. Also I did a little researching myself. Apparently formats also diverse in between biology journals although its not as much if we compare between biology and psychology journals. I guess we should always be ready to adapt to different systems when required to. ;)

hi Pei Rong !!!

No problem. I actually enjoy doing final editing cause thats when we can see the whole project coming together and it gives me a sense of satisfaction. You were hostile and unhappy ? I did not sense that though, but I sensed some stress but that is to be expected since you have test.

You are... Pei Rong !
so it says in the name tag. Unless you are Xin Yi using Pei Rong's account and typing in an evil attempt to confuse my little brain :'(

haha.
Yeah ! Lets work at it :)

Eileen said...

Hi Jun Yen,

It was so hilarious when I heard Xin Yi told me that you mixed up their names! But I guess I sort of realise your confusion when you came into the class the other day and asked me if I have finished the survey when I'm not even in your group. OMG. But haha, next time when you have this problem again you can try to call the person's name first and see who responds to you before making yourself embarrassed again. =P

Anyway, I can see that you all have much fun working with each other and I am happy for you guys! =)