Saturday, November 8, 2008

The final chapter?

This course is coming to an end, and I must say this is going to be more bitter then sweet. Never have I really enjoyed a module so much. Mainly because I got to know everyone in the class and we could communicate well with each other. Compare to some other modules where you would not even know the person who sits beside you in lecture, this module has been a GREAT experience. I just LOVE the level of interaction that is in the class and I never got drowsy or bored throughout the classes.

My understanding of the value on having effective communications skills have not change throughout the course, however the skills I have, had. I have gained a myriad of communication skills, from the basics of writing (the seven Cs) to writing for a job application. All which are skills that will be extremely useful throughout my studies and my future career. Furthermore all this skills has been learned under cheerful and comfortable environment and thus making it all the more memorable.

However, I must say that the skills I learned are just baby steps, far from being an expert in them. At least there is a start. And with the great help from Brad and my classmates... no, correction, friends, I manage to build a strong base for to develop my skills even further. Also along the way, Brad never failed to share some of life’s lessons that he learned in order to help us younglings.

The course has also enlightened me on certain aspects of report writing. Such as one should not be stuck to a certain report style and should always be flexible in order to adjust to different systems. I have also learned the proper usage of can, could, will, would, shall and should. I never understood the correct way to use them until Brad explained it to me. Also the course has helped me a lot in writing for a job application. Believe it or not, I have never written a proper resume or a cover letter till now. So the course was a great help in learning how to write a proper one.

Finally I would like to say that though the course’s title is Professional Communications, there were also a lot of non-professional communications going around. Making new friends is always a wonderful part of life and so is learning. I really enjoyed this course and I am grateful I enrolled/bid in it. Sadly it’s coming to an end and we would have to part our ways, but I am sure we would still be able to keep in touch. Or is there a Professional Communication level 3000 module =D?

12 comments:

Hui Xuan said...

Hey Jun Yen,

I agree with you. The level of communication in this module is wonderful. I remember I had many tutorials in the past that did not involved any interactions within the class at all. And after 1 semester, I ended up not knowing any new friends from my tutorial class. However, in this modules, I have know many new friends. (:

~Jun Yen~ said...

Hi Hui Xuan,

I have similar experience with you to. We end up going to class just to hear the lecturer teach and then after that just hurry off to our respective places. It was really great that this class actually has high level of interactions between its members and even the teachers. Lemme ask ya, how many classes have you attend where the lecturer/TA actually remembers your name without having to look at the name sheet =D

Hui Xuan said...

Hi Jun Yen,

That's a tough question. Let me try to recall. I guess about 5 of them? Most of them just know that you are their students. But to remember names, I guess it's tough for them too since they usually have so many students. (:

Anonymous said...

haha. hmmmm. I think so far in NUS, I think Brad is the only tutor who actually makes an effort to remember our names. (Although he did struggled abit with mine. LOL. Can't blame him though)

You know, it irks me that some tutors don't even TRY to acknowledge our existence in class. It seems as though they cannot wait to leave the class.

Thank God Brad isn't like this.

Angeline said...

Hi Jun Yen!

I agree that what we have learnt in this module is just baby step but I totally feel that this course has been so enriching that it increases my confidence when communicating to others. Anyway, if there is a Level 3000 Professional Communication module, I seriously won't mind taking it! :p

joyce said...

Hey Junyen,

I have never written a proper resume and cover letter until now too! You can see that from the file you and Yuming accidentally opened during the peer review of resumes that day. It was like what?! 5/6 pages? LOL. That was like written just after I graduated from Junior College. Load of crap. Haha!

By the way, you and Junrong sure have a lot of 默契! It is nice to see such a strong friendship forged between you guys.

Tiffany said...

Hi Fellow Green Mate,

I can clearly remember the look on everyone's faces when you came into class with the green shirt on tuesday! It really cracked me up!

Yeah i agree with angeline! If there was a level 3000 communications module let's all take it together! and then we all can be classmates again! How fun.

It kinda saddens me to know that this module is ending. But the knowledge and skills that we take home will definitely benefit all of us. So this is not the end of our journey but a beginning..

All the best for future undertakings!

wjyen said...

Hi Xin Yi,

Yeah i totally agree, i think most of the tutors does not take tutoring more then a job, therefore their just there to deliver their lesson and begone with it, not bothering more on the students.

wjyen said...

Hi Joyce !

Actually your not the only one, i have seen some of my friends which have resumes which are BOUNDED like a report !!! At first i guess that was the normal way since i have no experience in writing a resume. Looks like i was horribly wrong. Guess simple, direct and tailored is the way to go :)

wjyen said...

Welcome Tiffany !!

Yeah, i think my look was also funny. I myself was shocked when i see the three of you standing there in green. LOL. Indeed it's sad, just when we have just taken the several baby steps to improve our skills, the module will be coming to an end. The module really have helped me a lot in my communication skills especially on the aspect of resume and cover letter writing.

Yu Ming said...

Greetings my dear Malaysian brother,

I feel for you when you dreaded how you ended up in Singapore when you were actually trying to laze about down under. Cheer up, there will always be a time and chance to make your brother pay for his 'crimes', and this time he would literally have to do so.

Brad Blackstone said...

Dude,

This is an excellent post, with a detailed review of your learning combined with an analysis of what effective communication entails. You also throw in many accolades, which, if I were not a cautious man, would strike me as worth their weight in gold.

In any case, you have done a great job this term bonding with your classmates, earning respect for your useful insights, and being, in many ways, the proverbial "life of the party."

Thanks, Jun Yen, for all your efforts and for your general charm. You may still have a few language issues, but you've got the EQ down, man. Now fly with it!

And all the best!